Bad Examples of Customer Services & How to Fix Them
Good customer service is essential for any business, but what are the risks of ignoring it? When it comes to customer support in the digital arena, African businesses and the government needs to know the consequences of bad customer support and how beneficial an efficient functioning customer support system can be. Good customer service and business success are closely linked. One firstly needs to understand the meaning of what good customer service is, how it affects businesses and how it can help build a strong base between clients and businesses.
What is classified as bad customer service?
We can say that when businesses fails to meet their customer expextationsin terms of response time, service quality and customer experience that is bad customer service. This is costly because of inefficient customer support staff, inability to understand the customer needs and lacking real time support base. Poor customer service does not only worsens existing client base relations but also endangers potential opportunities brought by new customers, which result in loss of business since most or some customers might choose to leave for other businesses because of poor customer service experience.
How to identify good customer service and bad customer service
Dzuwa salodzerana! Good customer service always speaks for itself. When you want to make your customers experience with you worth it and put your business in good books with customers then you need to possess the following attributes.
- Timely resolution of customer problems
- Offering effective solutions during first contact with customer
- Valuing customer’s time and feedback
- Following good customer service etiquette so that customers feel comfortable and at ease
On the other hand bad customer service ends up building a negative customer experience and dissatisfaction in your business. This has adverse effects on your business, namely; decreased customer base. In order to identify businesses with poor customer services you only have to look at the following elements.
- Customer service team lack of empathy
- Making customers wait
- Being transferred multiple times
- Providing inaccurate and sometimes wrong information
How bad customer service affects your business
A lot of businesses are not aware how a poor customer service experience can impact their overall brand. Poor customer support will affect your business in the following ways;
- Impact on brand loyalty: When you have loyal customers, that is a strong predictor that your business will be sustained in a long-term but poor customer service will leave your customers in the cold and looking for an alternative to your business
- High customer service costs: The process of acquiring and convincing new customers is high as compared to maintaining an existing one
- Increased churning rate: Poor or substandard customer service will always turn customers away
Poor customer service is costly to any business. However if your business chooses the right strategy, you can circumvent the detrimental effects that follows due to poor customer service.
In conclusion, bad customer service is a major threat to businesses, leading to decreased customer loyalty, high customer acquisition costs, and increased customer defection. To avoid these negative consequences, businesses should strive to provide timely resolutions to customer problems, offer effective solutions during first contact, value customer time and feedback, and follow good customer service etiquette. By implementing these strategies, businesses can create a positive customer experience and build strong relationships with their customers, ultimately leading to increased brand loyalty and long-term success. As African businesses and the government embrace the digital arena, it is crucial to prioritize efficient and effective customer support systems, as they play a vital role in building a strong and sustainable business landscape.